Things You Didn’t Know About Skeem Saam
In today’s article, we’ll be laying emphasis on things you don’t actually know about Skeem Saam. For those of you that have been following the South African soap opera, there’s a need for you to read through this article so as to know about Skeem Saam. The story was created by Winnie Sirite, and it’s about the lives of the residents of Turfloop who face daily trials and tribulations as they climb the ladder to success, and it has been on the SABC1 production broadcast since 2011. Skeem Saam has always been a show about children forced to face very adult challenges, with interesting cast members that have been pushing the show forward. Now read further below to still know about Skeem Saam
This is quite a thrilling show for lots of movie fans out there! It is one of the most favorite TV shows which boasts more than 6 million viewers during season one and two and has been playing daily at 20:00 on SABC 1. There is no doubt that the rise in viewership of this show is been attributed to the lockdown, but it still remains a top-notch even those viewing currently are testifying to it. According to the stats, Skeem Saam dethroned Generations last month as the second most-watched soapie, capturing nine million viewers.
The show has faced competition from, MojaLove’s controversial reality show, Uyajola 9/9. This TV show has also been racking up views and has been gaining popularity in South Africa just like Skeem Saam. It has become DStv’s top puller, with 2.5 million viewers. The show follows people suspected of cheating and often sets tongues wagging and tops the social media trend list. The Head of channel Bokani Moyo stated that “Our content showcases issues which affect them directly, and on the channel, these stories are given a voice and a platform of expression without censorship or distorting the reality that the majority of South Africans face on a daily basis.
What You Need to Know About Skeem Saam
We’ll be telling you what you need to know about Skeem Saam, and equally give you the full cast members of the show:
The first season of Skeem Saam was a psychological thriller about three young boys who tried to dig themselves out of a hole that kept getting deeper and darker after they stole a car for a night of fun. Season two finally got them free of the terrible secret that bound them together in season one but threw them into a series of new high stakes scenarios.
Despite these challenges, the children of Skeem Saam remained rooted in families and communities with a strong sense of continuity and stability. Even as Kat was caught with weed in his school-bag, and as Tbose chased around Turfloop in search of his kidnapped son, the world itself remained stable. Granny was always waiting at home to lock the gate, no matter how bad things got out there in the world.
- SABC1 head of channel, Phumzile Zonke, said the reason for the surge in viewership was because the show told authentic stories.
- She stated that “What makes the show a success is that we tell real stories that are taken from real-life issues, stories our audience can relate to.” “We’re funny, happy, sad, and sometimes even with heartfelt tears and even infidelity.”
- Zonke also said, “The show prides itself on championing conversations about friendships, parenthood, and families, as well as career choices.”
“We even depict the hardships of unemployment, which affects most South Africans.”
“We hope to retain these numbers as we continue to tell Skeem Saam signature stories while we also remain an educational show.”
Casts Involved in Skeem Saam
At first, we’ll be giving you the full list of the casts in the show prior to their respective roles and then talk about some few of them below:
- Patrick Seleka Jr as Katlego “Kat” Pietersen
- Cornet Mamabolo as Thabo “Tbose” Maputla
- Clement Maosa as Zamokuhle “Kwaito” Seakamela
- Harriet Manamela as Meikie Maputla
- Dieketseng Mnisi as Ntombi “MaNtuli” Seakamela
- Africa Tsoai as John Maputla
- Eric Macheru as Leeto Maputla
- Lydia Mokgokoloshi as Koko Mantsha
- Elizabeth Serunye as Principal Thobakgale
- Arthur Molepo as Captain Malebana
- Amanda Manku as Elizabeth Thobakgale
- Lesego Marakalla as Rachel Kunutu
- Mogau Motlhatswi as Mapitsi Magongwa
- Shoki Sebotsane as Celia Kunutu
- Amanda du-Pont as Nompumelelo Mthiyane
- Cedric Fourie as Lehasa Maphosa
- Makgofe Moagi as Charity Ramabu
- Buhle Maseko as Nimrod “Nimza” Kunutu
- Masilo Magoro as Charles Kunutu
- Mlungisi Mathe as Emkay Biyela
- Clevy Sekgala as Dennis Letsaolo
- Bongani Madondo as Sfiso Ntuli
- Anton Dekker as Kobus Grobbler
- Keamogetswe Leburu as Bontle
- Joyce Ledwaba as Joyce Maputla
- Lerato Marabe as Pretty Seakamela
- Putla Sehlapelo as Alfred Magongwa
- Sebasa Mogale as Dr. Hlongwane
- Liza Van Deventer as Candice
- Lebogang Elephant as Mr Kgomo
- Macks Papo as Marothi Maphuthuma
- Nokuzola Mlengana as Sis’ Ouma
- Thabo Mkhabela as Leshole Mabitsela
- Thabang Lefoa as Sphola
- Vusi Leremi as Clement Letsoalo
- Joseph Tshepo Senatle as Koloi Shivambu
- Austin Rethabile Mothapo as Noah Matloga
- Komotso Manyaka as Emma
- Charles Maja as Big-Boy Mabitsela
Bonus Tip – Talking About Some of the Casts in the Show
We’ll be talking about some of the popular casts in this TV show below:
- Clement Maosa is a South African actor, most famous for acting Zamokuhle Seakamela in the SABC1 soap opera, Skeem Saam.
- He is from Polokwane, Limpopo, and attended school in a village called Ga-Rammutla and studied law at the University of Limpopo.
- When Clement was young he wanted to be a soldier, but when he reached high school he decided he would be an actor. He grew up in Bochum with his parents, two sisters, and a younger brother.
- Clement’s career highlights include the month he served his articles as a candidate attorney, some roadshows, and promotions with a commercial radio station in Limpopo and when he was registered as a model with Rezo-Lution and Media Management.
- He has recently shared a stage with DJ Bongz and other South African stars where his skills in dancing were exposed.
- He is also known for hosting birthday extravaganza parties where South African celebrities converge and enjoy themselves. 2016, was his second time organizing it.
- His involvement with Skeem Saam was his big break. “I saw a notification on Facebook from Mzansi fo sho about the auditions. I traveled from Limpopo to audition and fortunately, I got the role”.
Eric Macheru is a South African actor most famous for acting as Leeto Maputla the son of Meikie Maputla (Harriet Manamela), and as John Maputla (Africa Tsoai) and as the older brother of Thabo Maputla (Cornet Mamabolo) and also the husband to Mogadi Matloga in the soap opera, Skeem Saam.
- Mogau Motlhatswi is a South African actress popularly known for her role as Mapitsi Magongwa, the baby mama and girlfriend of Thabo Maputla (Cornet Mamabolo) who is Pitsi’s father, and the niece of Alfred Mawongwa. She is also the sister of Sonti Mawongwa and the mother to Pitsi also in the Skeem Saam.
- Apart from currently acting on Skeem Saam, she has also acted in MTV Shuga
- Shoki Sebotsane is a South African actress most famous for acting as Celia Kunutu the mother and stepmother of Rachel Kunutu and Nimrod Kunutu respectively in the soap, Skeem Saam.
- Legal cases Shoki has been abused by her husband Sello Sebotsane several times until she finally came out publicly to confirm the rumors. She has even filled for a divorce
- Amanda du-Pont was born on the 26th of June, 1988 in Manzini, Swaziland.
- She was raised in Manzini and lived with her cousin Alulutho Du Pont also Swati but later they moved to Mpumalanga to finish their schooling at Uplands College.
- She is a Swazi-born South African actress, model, and television host.
- In 2011, Du-Pont was awarded a Bachelor of Arts Degree from The South African School of Motion Picture and Live Performance (‘AFDA’) located in Johannesburg, and one year after, she had graduated from the New York Film Academy in New York City, where she was awarded a full scholarship for scholastic excellence.
- In July 2018, Du-Pont got engaged to a businessman, Shawn Rodriques in the Maldives.
- Du-Pont is known for her portrayal of Senna in the CW drama series Life is Wild and Sharon in the SABC 3 comedy-drama Taryn & Sharon.
- Currently, she stars as Ashley in the Netflix thriller series Shadow.
- She is well known for acting on a South African soapie called Skeem Saam as Nompumelelo ‘Lelo’ Mthiyane.
- Du-Pont had a leading role in the 2014 feature film, Between Friends, a recurring role in the hit South African television program Skeem Saam, and was the co-host of Real Goboza.
- She has also starred in the CW drama Life is Wild, SABC 2’s Muvhango, Intersexions, Generations, Mzanzi TV’s Loxion Bioscopeseries, and the 2015 feature film Hear Me Move.
- In February 2019, it was announced that Du-Pont would star in the Netflix thriller series Shadow.
- She has seen her acting career provide her with some notable awards. At the age of 21, Du-Pont was awarded a Life Time Achievement award by Swaziland’s Department of Arts & Culture for her early achievements in film and television and her promotion of the Swazi language and culture.