Google Meet | 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Google Meet (Google Conference Video Call)
This article tells you what you don’t know about Google Meet. Google Meet or Meet. Google is a video-communication service developed by Google. It is one of two apps that constitute the new version of Google Hangouts, the other being Google Chat. Google has started retiring the classic version of Hangouts since October 2019.
While Google Meet introduced the above features to upgrade the original Hangouts application, some standard Hangouts features were deprecated, including viewing attendees and chat simultaneously. The number of video feeds allowed at one time was also reduced to 8 (while up to 4 feeds can be shown in a “tiles” layout), prioritizing those attendees who most recently used their microphone. In order to still know about Google Meet, you just need to continue reading through this article.
After being invite-only and quietly releasing an iOS app in February 2017, Google formally launched Meet in March 2017. The service was unveiled as a video conferencing app for up to 30 participants, described as an enterprise-friendly version of Hangouts. At launch, it featured a web app, an Android app, and an iOS app. Initially, Google ran Meet as a commercial service; in April 2020 Google started rolling it to free users as well, causing speculation about whether the consumer version of Google Meet would accelerate the deprecation of Google Hangouts.
Until May 2020, a G Suite account was required to initiate and host a Meet video conference, but with increased demand for video conferencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Google rolled out free access to Meet also for holders of consumer accounts. Following the announcement, Google’s Director of Product Management recommended that consumers use Meet over Hangouts. The use of Meet grew by a factor of 30 between January and April of 2020, with 100 million users a day accessing Meet, compared to 200 million daily uses for Zoom as of the last week of April 2020. So, therefore, just read further below in order for you to be able to know about Google Meet.
Key Facts to Know About Google Meet
Below consists of key facts which you didn’t know about Google Meet:
- Google Meet uses proprietary protocols for video, audio, and data transcoding.
- Google has partnered with the company Pexip to provide interoperability between Google Meet and SIP/H.323-based conferencing equipment and software.
- Free Meet calls can only have a single host and up to 100 participants, compared to the 250-caller limit for G Suite users and the 25-participant limit for Hangouts.
- Unlike business calls with Meet, consumer calls are not recorded and stored and the company states that consumer data from Meet will not be used for advertisement targeting.
- Users need a Google account to initiate calls and like G Suite users, anyone with a Google account is able to start a Meet call from within Gmail.
- Free meet calls have no time limit but will be limited to 60 minutes starting in September 2020.
- For security reasons, hosts can deny entry and remove users during a call.
- As of April 2020, Google plans to roll out a noise-canceling audio filter and a low-light mode.
- In response to the COVID-19 crisis in March 2020, Google began offering Meet’s advanced features that previously required an enterprise account to anyone using G Suite or G Suite for Education.
To Setup a Google Meet video meeting
You can start a new video meeting from your computer or mobile device with Google Meet.
- If you’re a For G Suite users, you’ll need to sign into a G Suite account. Whereas for non-G Suite users (using Google Meet with a personal account), you’ll have to make sure you have a Google Account.
- It’s easy to schedule a Meet video meeting in Google Calendar—just create an event and add your guests to it. A video meeting link and dial-in number (if you are a G Suite user) is added to a Calendar event either by inviting one or more guests to the event or by clicking Add conferencing.
- Guests can forward the meeting link to other people. If someone tries to join who was not invited to the Calendar event, a meeting participant from your organization must accept their request.
- For meetings organized by a personal Google Account, only the meeting creator can admit these participants.
Also read: How to Create Zoom account | Zoom Signup
To start a video meeting from Meet, follow the steps below:
- Go to your web browser and enter https://meet.google.com.
- Then click “Join or Start a meeting.”
- (Optional for G Suite users) Create a nickname for your meeting and enter the nickname.
- Then click “Continue.”
- After that, click “Join now.”
- To add someone to a meeting, you need to choose an option > click “Copy joining info” > then copy and paste the meeting details into an email or another app > click “Add people” and choose an option > Under the Invite section, select a name, or enter an email address and click “Send invite”.
- For meetings created via a personal Google account, only the meeting moderator can send a call invite. Under the Call section, enter a phone number and press “Call.” This feature is currently available for meetings created via a G Suite account.
To Setup a Meeting on Different Platforms
- To create an event In Calendar; you have to click on “Add guests” and enter the names or email of the people you want to invite > then click “Save” > after that, click “Send to notify guests”.
- To schedule a video meeting from Microsoft® Outlook®; go to Add Meet video meetings to Outlook.
- To start a video meeting from Gmail; Copy the meeting details to an event created in your scheduling system > then open Gmail > go to the sidebar and click “Start a meeting” > In the Meet window, choose an option to join the meeting.
- To join using your computer’s camera for video and your computer’s microphone for audio, click “Join now.”
- For G Suite users (Using your phone for audio), click “Join” and use a phone for audio and then follow the on-screen prompts.
- If you join by phone, you can still use your computer for video. For details, go to Use a phone for audio in a video meeting.
- Once you’re in the meeting, you can as well add other people. You can do so by Sharing a meeting code. To do this, just click “Copy joining info” > then paste it into a messaging app.
- If you want to invite someone by email; just click “Add people” > then enter a name or email address > then click “Send invite.”
- To invite someone by phone; just click on “Add people” > then click “Call” and then enter a phone number. This feature is currently available for meetings created via a G Suite account.
- For meetings organized via a personal account, only the meeting creator can in-call invite someone.
Bonus Tip – How to Delete Google Hangouts Account
If you don’t want to permanently remove your account, then you need to sign out as an alternative. If you signed in with different kinds of devices, then you need to sign out in each of those devices. What this means is that, if you sign out of it on your computer device, you also need to sign out also on your phone.
Sign out with Android device
- The first step is to open your Hangouts app.
- Go to the top left corner and click on the Menu icon.
- Then click “Settings.”
- You’ll then have to click on your Google Account.
- After that, scroll down to the bottom and click “Sign Out.”
Sign out with iPhone & iPad
- Open your Hangouts app on your iPhone or iPad device.
- Click on the Menu icon as well located at the top left corner.
- Click on the Down Arrow which is located next to your account.
- Then click on “Manage Accounts.”
- You’ll then have to select the account you want to stop using.
Sign out with Computer device
- Go to your computer web browser and type www.hangouts.google.com.
- Then click on your Profile Photo which is located at the top right corner.
- After that, click on “Sign out.”
Now you’ve seen how easy it is to sign out of Google Hangouts. Now let’s take you through the process of removing your account entirely. And deleting your Google Hangouts account equally disables all your Google accounts including Gmail, Inbox, and Google+.
Remove your Account on Android
- Open your Google Hangouts app.
- Go to the top left corner and click on the Menu icon.
- Click on the Down Arrow icon next to your account.
- Then click on “Manage Accounts.”
- You’ll have to select Google and then tap your Google Account.
- Go to the top right corner and click “More.”
- After that, tap on “Remove Account.”
Remove your Account on iPhone & iPad
- Open your Google Hangouts app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Then go to the top left corner and click on the Menu icon.
- Click on the Down Arrow which is next to your account.
- Click on “Manage Accounts.”
- At the top right corner, click on ‘Edit.’
- Then click on “Remove” which is located next to the account you wish to delete.
- After that, click on “Done” which is located at the top right corner.
To Remove your Account on PC and Mac
- Open a tab in your computer web browser.
- Sign in to your Gmail account first.
- Click the Down Arrow button in front of your name, which is located on the left corner.
- Scroll down and select “Sign out of Hangouts” option.
- Then click on the “Settings” cog on the right side to open the settings.
- You’ll then have to locate the Chat tab and check the “Chat Off” option.
- After that, click on “Save Changes.”