Table of Contents
Do you wish to start your own blog site but finding it difficult to do so? You go through lots of sites and all of a sudden become confused and still don’t know what to do even when you’re told. WordPress is the simplest choice that will help you go through the process. Don’t worry about that because we’ve got you covered on how to create WordPress account.
If you want to go into blogging with WordPress, the first thing you need is to have an account. WordPress gives you all the necessary guidelines on the procedures you need to take. But first, you’ll need to create WordPress account for a start.
Steps to Create WordPress Account
In order to create WordPress account; you need to follow the steps below:
- At first you need to visit the site @ WordPress.com for the home page to appear.
- On the page that appears, click on the “Get Started” where you’ll be taken to the WordPress signup page @ http://signup.wordpress.com/signup.
- Then type your e-mail address in the E-Mail Address text box. This email will be used to communicate to you through WordPress team.
- Then go to the Username text box and enter the name you want to be using to log into your blog site. Your username must be at least four characters with letters and numbers only. But it’s necessary for you to use a username that’s quite different from your blog address so that it won’t be easily guessed.
- After that, type a password and then confirm it. It must be at least four characters. This is the password you’ll be using to log into your new WordPress account. So it’s important that you enter a password that you can be able to remember and the one that will be difficult for someone to discover.
- In the Blog Address text box, type the word you’ve chosen as your blog address. This will be your URL address of your blog, and must be at least four characters consisting of letters and numbers only. But make sure not to use a duplicate blog address because it won’t be accepted by WordPress.
- Then select the suffix for your blog address. In the drop-down list to the right of the Blog Address text box, you have several options. One is free, and the others cost you $18 to $25/year. For now, select the free suffix; you can always upgrade to a paid domain later if you want.
- Then review the upgrade options. WordPress has several upgrade options such as domain names, space upgrades, and custom design. During the signup process, WordPress offers a Premium upgrade that provides you with upgraded features for $99, which you can add to your blog by clicking the Upgrade button in this step.
- Then click on “Create Blog” button. This is the final step of your signup process. A new page opens with a message that WordPress has sent you an e-mail containing a link to activate your account. As you wait for that e-mail to arrive, take a moment to fill out the Update Your Profile! From on this page. Enter your first name, last name, and a few sentences about yourself.
- Then click the Save Profile button. You also need to fully agree to the Terms of Service of WordPress.
- Next in line is to choose a theme and start blogging. This is the final step of your signup. You need to choose one of several themes that WordPress provides for your blog by clicking its thumbnail.
Check your e-mail and click the Activate Blog link in the e-mail message from WordPress to activate your new WordPress blog.
The Dashboard for your WordPress account loads in your browser window with a message welcoming you to WordPress. The Dashboard also displays a few helpful items to help you get started, including
A video entitled “Welcome to WordPress.com” that gives you a quick tutorial of the WordPress.com services will pop-up on your dashboard. Although if you don’t want to see the Welcome box at the top of your dashboard page, just click on the “Hide This Screen” link in the bottom-right corner of the “Welcome to WordPress.com” box.
Finally! You can now start using your blog on WordPress. You can log in to your blog anytime by going to and clicking the “Log In” button in the top-right corner of the WordPress website.
How to Manually Upgrade Your WordPress Software
You’ll need to manually upgrade your WordPress software if your web-hosting environment can’t accommodate the automatic upgrade process. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Back up your WordPress website and deactivate all plugins.
- Navigate to the WordPress Update page by clicking on “Please Update Now” link.
- Then click on the Download button. This will open a dialog box that allows you to save the .zip file of the latest WordPress download package to your local computer.
- Select a location to store the download package and click”Save.”The .zip file will download to your selected location on your computer.
- Then browse to the .zip file on your computer and unzip the file. You can use a program such as WinZip to unzip files.
- Delete all the files and folders in your existing WordPress installation directory except the following; /wp-content folder, .htaccess, wp-config.php.
- Upload the contents of the /wordpress folder — not the folder itself — to your web server. Most FTP client software lets you select all the files and drag ’n’ drop them to your web server. Other programs have you select the files and click a Transfer button.
- After that, navigate to the following URL on your website: http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin.
- Click on the “Upgrade WordPress Database” button. Doing this will enable WordPress to initiate the upgrade of the MySQL database associated with your website. When the database upgrade is complete, the page refreshes and displays a message saying so.
- After that, click on the “Continue button.” Your browser loads the WordPress login page. The upgrade is now complete, and you can continue using WordPress with all of its newly upgraded features.
During your time as a WordPress user, you’ll upgrade on a regular basis, at least three to four times per year. This is because WordPress is always adding great new features and functions to the platform, upgrading always ensures that you’re on top of the game and using the latest tools and features available.
Now you’re up and doing, cos you’re officially a blog site owner! Now you can start writing articles on your blog site. We’ll give you a hint on how to go about it.
See Also: Steps to Setup Instagram Account
Procedure to Purchase hosting and your domain name
Making your blog accessible to people around the world requires two things; Hosting and Domain. While Hosting is like the engine that powers your site, Domain is like your blog’s permanent address.
You can purchase your hosting and domain at the same time. But before you can do that, you need to choose a WordPress Host from lots of Hosts WordPress has to offer.
As a new blogger, we recommend you go for Bluehost because it’s quite reliable compared to other Hosts. With just an estimate of $35.40 to host your blog at Bluehost in a year including your free domain name, you can just get started!
- Reason been that it’s quite affordable, meaning you can host your site with just $2.95 per month for your first 12 months.
- You can equally get a free domain name when you sign up. This tie in with your own domain cost of $10+.
- It requires you to easily install WordPress. With just a few clicks, you can launch the WordPress software and have a working blog.
- It has enough performance to get you started. When you’re just starting out, Bluehost offers plenty of performance to keep your site loading.
To sign up for WordPress hosting at Bluehost, you need to click here to go to Bluehost > then scroll down on that page to see a list of Bluehost’s WordPress hosting plans.
For beginners, we recommend the cheap Basic plan because it packs plenty of power for your fledgling blog. So click the “SELECT” button to start the process:
Go to the next screen and enter the domain name you want to use for your blog in the “New Domain” box > then click “Next.”
On the final screen, you’ll need to enter basic account and billing details at the top:
Once you scroll down, you’ll see a “Package Information” section at the bottom of the page > then choose how many years of hosting service to purchase, as well as any add-ons that you want.
Bluehost will then check some of these add-ons by default, but you can safely de-select them. Once you’ve filled in all the necessary information, just click on “SUBMIT” at the bottom to complete your purchase.
Note: Purchasing this comes with just an estimate of $35 for your domain name and one year of hosting.
How to Write your Blog Post
Now that you learned how to create WordPress account, the next is to learn about blog writing techniques and start blogging.
- When you first log in to your blog’s WordPress dashboard, you’ll have to click on the four-line options icon.
- Then go to Posts and then click “Add New.”
This will launch the WordPress Editor, which lets you write your blog posts using a really intuitive block system.
To add text, you just click and type. For other content – like an image or an embedded YouTube video, you can add new “blocks”.
Read More: How to Create Gmail Account
Was that helpful? Just drop your comment in the box below.